Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Eczema

So remember the ringworm I posted about? Well after weeks and weeks of treatment it kept coming back as soon as I slacked off on the anti-fungal cream. And THEN it started spreading ti the rest of his body.
So I decided it had been eczema all along. I bought a baby eczema lotion and started applying it several times a day. When I took him to the doctor for a check-up she confirmed it was eczema. It looked much better at that point. She told me to try Vaseline on it.

Well, it got worse than these pictures. His entire belly turned red and rough. He was itchy and miserable. I had to gently rub his belly to help him go to sleep. It started spreading to arms and legs as well. His lotion barely made a difference.
So I took him to the doctor. A new doctor. He said there was actually a strep infection on top of the severely dry skin. He gave us a steroid cream for it.
The cream drastically improved it within a couple uses. But the doc said it could thin and lighten the skin, so to use it carefully and not on the face.

As a more natural alternative I put breast milk on it to help clear the infection. And I gave him oatmeal baths, followed by the eczema lotion, which also has oatmeal. I now do this as a routine, using hydrocortisone cream on stubborn patches, and for the most part his skin is normal again. 




My boy is so handsome! I am so happy his skin is healing. 




No comments: