Monday, September 15, 2014

Philippians 4:6-7

For the past while I have struggled with my spiritual well-being. Becoming a wife and a mother just took it out of me. I know that sounds terrible. But I have just been so mentally and physically tired, and I haven't made the effort that it takes to keep my spirit healthy.

Well over the Summer I decided to work on that. I still need a lot of work. I have to develop good habits again, and fall off the wagon frequently. But I can feel that I have made that turning point that I have so long known I needed to reach. Because now I am really trying. 


For example; I actually made myself a prayer rock. Everyone things they are just for primary kids. But I have become so bad that I genuinely have a hard time remembering to pray. And the prayer

rock works. :)



Also, because it's no longer a habit, scripture reading can become hard and tedious. So sad! I know that inside of me is a passion and love for the scriptures, and it saddens me that I don't feel that fire like I used to. And it's hard to find time to really study and get into it with a mobile baby boy.

So I have taken to carrying the Ensign and a highlighter around with me. I have been reading the latest General Conference edition. I just read it as much as I can throughout the day. Tristan has gotten to it a few times, so it looks pretty sad now. And I find this has really helped me to get re-accustomed to reading God's word. It's a good starting point, and technically it's modern scripture. I have done that enough that I have started to crave it before my usual reading (latest novel: Watership Down).


And while I was looking for a good scripture to put on my prayer rock, I stumbled onto this one completely accidentally. For right now it's my favorite scripture, and I can't get it out of my head.


" Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." phil.4:6-7
  • The Joseph Smith translation changes the word "careful" for "afflicted". It means to let go of the things that are worrying you, because you can put it all in God's hands and trust that He has everything under control.
  • I also love that it says to make requests with thanksgiving. We don't have to pray only to give thanks, but when we ask for things we need we should put the two together and have gratitude in our hearts towards God for all we already have, and for His ear listening to receive our prayer.
  • Then He grants us peace. Peace beyond mortal logic. The peace only He can give. Sometimes our answers come slowly, or in unexpected ways, but we can still have the peace of Christ upon us to calm our minds and our hearts through whatever comes our way.

Isn't that beautiful? Ponder that as you face the days ahead and I know for sure things will turn out better. 

No comments: